[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Accord CrossTour --> Re: its been a year...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Civic Type R Promo
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX V6 SH-AWD vs Volvo S60 T6
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: ASCC based CLX with Acura Sport (Mystery Concept)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Is All New Legend an RLX?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Official TLX I4 0 - 60 test
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Look what just arrived!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: SUV for Rough urban roads?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: R&T Article on the Current State of F1
Join Discussion......
RL / Legend --> Re: 2015 Honda Legend
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: Last day driving a TSX
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Fiat finally ditches Ferrari
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Future of sports cars
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Brazil's HR-V unveiled with R18+CVT (likely same as NA)
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > CR-V > > Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: First review of 2012 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2011 14:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
dampflok wrote:
ipribadi wrote:
".. only way to release the back liftgate is by using the liftgate’s handle—there’s no remote release in the cabin or on the key fob .."

Are u kidding me? This can't be true is it?
How was the last gen?
I have a current (soon-to-be last) gen, and that's the way it is with mine, i.e., no release trigger in the cabin or on the key fob. A bit annoying, I have to admit.

Annoying? Why? It works fine for us.
40mpg
Profile for 40mpg
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2011 16:25
HondaMotorCo007 wrote:
Powered by Honda wrote:
Bollocks wrote:
Powered by Honda wrote:
Am I too demanding and asking too much from Honda on this? (relocated turn signals and blind spot mirrors)

You're not asking too much, but neither of your requests could ever be considered deal-killers. Blind spot mirrors are available in the aftermarket and, frankly, they are entirely redundant if you set your mirrors correctly. Read this: www.wheels.ca/article/34499

I'm at a loss as to your fixation on the turn signals. There are no obstructions at all to the turn signals from the viewpoint of an oncoming driver or pedestrian. The headlight assemblies are severely tapered outward toward the rear of the vehicle, in typical Honda fashion (crosstour, accord, civic, s2000). Even if the oncoming driver's head is right beside your front bumper, he could easily see the entire outer surface of the near-side headlight assembly, including the turn signal. He'd have to be beyond the front wheel to miss the flashing light at which point, if he really needed to know your turning intent (why would he???), he could easily see the taillight. I'd rather see my car dollars put toward things like better interior trim than totally unnecessary frills like mirror-mounted turn signals and power tailgates.

The Escape looks like it will be a winner for those who value tech and frivolous power goodies. For those who actually want to DRIVE while they are driving, while still having the most practical and reliable appliance at the same time, then the CRV is still the champ.

Personally, I think you're just looking for excuses to avoid saying "best in class". There is no doubt in my mind: The CRV rules the cute-ute market, and it looks like that domination will continue, at least until the new Rav4 comes out.

Its helpful to have a side light beam. Especially when their is a 3 lane change.

1 person in the very left. 1 person in the very right. BOTH GOING TO MIDDLE LANE at same time.

The side mirror or fender light flashes in their face and accidents are avoided. I don't think you know how come those types of crashes happen alot.

Also, when your driving straight through an upcoming light and there is someone making a left on yourside. You can't see people making a left on the on-coming. Because the guy making a left going in your direction...is blocking all view unless you get really close, say in the middle of the intersection close.

I'm not gonna say I'm a good driver but I'm a defensive driver. Thank god in over 10 years I've never been in a crash. I was trained at Young drivers Canada and I still use their teachings today. I'm not sure if I explained the situations right but when I drive I see 100's of potential crashes a day.

Anyways I did just look at the escape on fords website in detail it has a lot of what I was ranting for. haha! I do believe it will DRIVE better then the CR-V as you heard Neal say the 5 gears in the 5at now are taller. He pushes the gas and nothing happens. lol

2.0T with 240hp and a 6AT would be more a DRIVE imo. Is the new Escape designed in Germany like the new Focus?

PBH, have you been skimming and not reading reviews? The 2012 CR-V comes with an integrated blindspot mirror on the drivers side, standard.

And while the Escape's engine sounds good, it will only be available in the $28,000+ models while the lower trims get the dated, gas hog 2.5L engine.

Compare any Ford to its Honda counterpart and the costs are much higher when you price them.

Have you not noticed, the CR-V has so much more interior space than the almost "sub compact" Escape interior? The difference in size is easily apparent in pictures. You should be comparing the Kia Soul w/ the Escape. CR-V and Rav 4 are closer competitors.

The 6AT in Escape is just another example of bad 6AT, at least for the 4cyl one. Ride wise, it is not comfortable for long distance, and the interior is POS in quality and comfort.
40mpg
Profile for 40mpg
Re: First review of 2012 CR-V    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2011 16:29
TonyE wrote:
dampflok wrote:
ipribadi wrote:
".. only way to release the back liftgate is by using the liftgate’s handle—there’s no remote release in the cabin or on the key fob .."

Are u kidding me? This can't be true is it?
How was the last gen?
I have a current (soon-to-be last) gen, and that's the way it is with mine, i.e., no release trigger in the cabin or on the key fob. A bit annoying, I have to admit.

Annoying? Why? It works fine for us.

I wonder why it needs a release trigger in the cabin if it does not have any motor. You still need to pick up the handle to open the liftgate anyway. Unless you rather hit someone or other car on the back when the liftgate springs open. I think it is more of safety.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2011 19:39
HondaMotorCo007 wrote:
Powered by Honda wrote:
Bollocks wrote:
Powered by Honda wrote:
Am I too demanding and asking too much from Honda on this? (relocated turn signals and blind spot mirrors)

You're not asking too much, but neither of your requests could ever be considered deal-killers. Blind spot mirrors are available in the aftermarket and, frankly, they are entirely redundant if you set your mirrors correctly. Read this: www.wheels.ca/article/34499

I'm at a loss as to your fixation on the turn signals. There are no obstructions at all to the turn signals from the viewpoint of an oncoming driver or pedestrian. The headlight assemblies are severely tapered outward toward the rear of the vehicle, in typical Honda fashion (crosstour, accord, civic, s2000). Even if the oncoming driver's head is right beside your front bumper, he could easily see the entire outer surface of the near-side headlight assembly, including the turn signal. He'd have to be beyond the front wheel to miss the flashing light at which point, if he really needed to know your turning intent (why would he???), he could easily see the taillight. I'd rather see my car dollars put toward things like better interior trim than totally unnecessary frills like mirror-mounted turn signals and power tailgates.

The Escape looks like it will be a winner for those who value tech and frivolous power goodies. For those who actually want to DRIVE while they are driving, while still having the most practical and reliable appliance at the same time, then the CRV is still the champ.

Personally, I think you're just looking for excuses to avoid saying "best in class". There is no doubt in my mind: The CRV rules the cute-ute market, and it looks like that domination will continue, at least until the new Rav4 comes out.

Its helpful to have a side light beam. Especially when their is a 3 lane change.

1 person in the very left. 1 person in the very right. BOTH GOING TO MIDDLE LANE at same time.

The side mirror or fender light flashes in their face and accidents are avoided. I don't think you know how come those types of crashes happen alot.

Also, when your driving straight through an upcoming light and there is someone making a left on yourside. You can't see people making a left on the on-coming. Because the guy making a left going in your direction...is blocking all view unless you get really close, say in the middle of the intersection close.

I'm not gonna say I'm a good driver but I'm a defensive driver. Thank god in over 10 years I've never been in a crash. I was trained at Young drivers Canada and I still use their teachings today. I'm not sure if I explained the situations right but when I drive I see 100's of potential crashes a day.

Anyways I did just look at the escape on fords website in detail it has a lot of what I was ranting for. haha! I do believe it will DRIVE better then the CR-V as you heard Neal say the 5 gears in the 5at now are taller. He pushes the gas and nothing happens. lol

2.0T with 240hp and a 6AT would be more a DRIVE imo. Is the new Escape designed in Germany like the new Focus?

PBH, have you been skimming and not reading reviews? The 2012 CR-V comes with an integrated blindspot mirror on the drivers side, standard.

And while the Escape's engine sounds good, it will only be available in the $28,000+ models while the lower trims get the dated, gas hog 2.5L engine.

Compare any Ford to its Honda counterpart and the costs are much higher when you price them.

Have you not noticed, the CR-V has so much more interior space than the almost "sub compact" Escape interior? The difference in size is easily apparent in pictures. You should be comparing the Kia Soul w/ the Escape. CR-V and Rav 4 are closer competitors.

Do you mean a divided mirror with a section that is concaved differently?
Thats really good to have on both sides. But I was hoping for an electronic system that lights up inside to show my sister *horrible driver* and beep when someone is in there.

I know we can't always depend on electronics...we become to dependent on it and what if the system goes out? Then the mirror cut outs will be good to have as well.

Also, I did notice the escape looks smaller then the cr-v.

KMG1219
Profile for KMG1219
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2011 11:25
HondaMotorCo007 wrote:
Powered by Honda wrote:
Bollocks wrote:
Powered by Honda wrote:

You must have been skimming the Escape reviews.

The 2.5L is for FWD model only and is expected to only account for 10% of their sales. If you want AWD like many of us do then the 1.6 turbo is the base motor and I bet with that extra torque and extra gear will perform very nicely at a similar price to the CRV.

The 2.0 will probably start about $27K just like the competition charges for their turbo or V6 variant. Another thing to consider is Honda dealers will be less likely to deal much on a CRV whereas you should be able to pay far less than MSRP for a Ford.

I give the nod to the CRV for interior and cargo capacity for sure, but the slightly smaller size of the Escape is not a deal breaker as compared to something like a Kia Sportage or Nissan Rogue which have less than 30 cubic feet cargo space behind the 2nd row.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-19-2011 17:53
MSNBC: Honda's CR-V Misses the Mark
Perhaps simplicity is less valued today. Perhaps it is just more challenging to deliver in a tech-centric world. Whatever the obstacles, while Honda’s new 2012 CR-V compact crossover SUV (even the description is inelegant) is a very good family car, it isn’t a special one. There is nothing about this that puts Honda’s clever stamp on it and says, “No other company could, or would, have done this.”

Instead, the CR-V is increasingly undistinguished in an increasingly competitive segment. That doesn’t make it a bad car, just a dull one.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-19-2011 18:16
TSX69 wrote:
Perhaps simplicity is less valued today. Perhaps it is just more challenging to deliver in a tech-centric world. Whatever the obstacles, while Honda’s new 2012 CR-V compact crossover SUV (even the description is inelegant) is a very good family car, it isn’t a special one. There is nothing about this that puts Honda’s clever stamp on it and says, “No other company could, or would, have done this.”

Instead, the CR-V is increasingly undistinguished in an increasingly competitive segment. That doesn’t make it a bad car, just a dull one.

Is this inane, condemning with faint praise type of road report a direct result of Honda's lack of exciting vehicles on the test fleet?

One wonders how different this test would have been written, had the tester recently tested the all new for 2012 S3000, let alone the recently introduced New NSX? Talk about the latest and greatest!

And the tester really felt good about that Acura Coupe with the insane horsepower V6 and SH-AWD. Boy those cars were great to flog around the race track, and did they handle!

Instead we have had months and months of very negative vibes about Honda/Acura - so it translates into such negative reviews.
HondaMotorCo007
Profile for HondaMotorCo007
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-19-2011 18:42
TSX69 wrote:

Typical liberal UAW crap. Just look at the comments under the article and read the article. The reviewer does not say one good thing about the car till the end and he keeps mentioning the Ford Shitscape, without saying how it or the Koreans are better than the CR-V.

Does the reviewer know that the CR-V is the best selling CUV and that it is assembled in the USA?

And does he know that the CR-V beats all the cars in its segment fuel economy wise?

Please dont say Mazda CX-5, as it has a much weaker engine and will probably not even come close to EPA numbers.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-27-2011 12:45
MotorTrend
In the beginning Honda created the CR-V and it sold well. There was no rest on the seventh day, as it existed in a world of dinosaur-size competition, and there was still no rest by day 5840, when Honda unveiled the 2012 CR-V -- long after the dinosaurs fell prey to the meteorite-like impact of rising fuel prices.

The fourth generation 2012 Honda CR-V, Honda's smallest SUV, hosts numerous updates that, when taken apart, might seem minor and inconsequential, but together they make for a vehicle that's more fuel-efficient, more powerful, and larger inside. The new CR-V is the product of meticulous changes from its creator, unlike us damn dirty apes who drive it.

superchg
Profile for superchg
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-27-2011 13:58
The article just confirms that the CRV is a solid vehicle, but sticking with the 5 speed auto. and 2.4 leaves room for performance/mileage improvement at the MMC!
ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-27-2011 14:54
superchg wrote:
The article just confirms that the CRV is a solid vehicle, but sticking with the 5 speed auto. and 2.4 leaves room for performance/mileage improvement at the MMC!

Probably exactly how Honda wants things to be.

Any hope for the '13 CRV to have the earth dreams engine?
Airrodgers
Profile for Airrodgers
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2012 10:01
TSX69 wrote:
2012 Honda CR-V

However, the new CR-V shares some of the weaknesses of the previous model. Notably, it only comes with one engine, a 2.4-liter, 185-horsepower four-cylinder engine. That’s an increase of a mere 5 hp, and the engine still provides barely adequate oomph.

For me the CRV got enough oomph...If I were given a choice of a CRv with 250hp-275hp and a 10 speed transmission(gets 17-25 mpg) or a 185 hp with a 5 speed transmission(gets 22-30 mpg) same price, I would chose the CRV with the 185 and a 5 speed...I know what I'm buying in a CRV and thats going from point A to point B with awd to help out in the snow...If I wanted a sport cars performance I would have bought one...
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2012 13:21
Airrodgers wrote:
TSX69 wrote:
2012 Honda CR-V

However, the new CR-V shares some of the weaknesses of the previous model. Notably, it only comes with one engine, a 2.4-liter, 185-horsepower four-cylinder engine. That’s an increase of a mere 5 hp, and the engine still provides barely adequate oomph.

For me the CRV got enough oomph...If I were given a choice of a CRv with 250hp-275hp and a 10 speed transmission(gets 17-25 mpg) or a 185 hp with a 5 speed transmission(gets 22-30 mpg) same price, I would chose the CRV with the 185 and a 5 speed...I know what I'm buying in a CRV and thats going from point A to point B with awd to help out in the snow...If I wanted a sport cars performance I would have bought one...

From C&D:
"Although few people floor it off the line during their morning commute (more people should try it; they’d be amazed how much more time they have in a day if they don’t drive like they’re dead or waiting to be), there are real-world drawbacks to dog-slow crossovers. Run up on a surprisingly slow truck on the freeway, and you’d better have a long opening behind you in the left lane. When you pop out to pass and give the CR-V the boot, it’s going to need a lot of time to get up to speed. Accelerating from 50 to 70 mph takes 5.6 seconds, and the combined time for 30-to-50 and 50-to-70 runs is more than 10 seconds. Should you floor it at much more than 60 mph, the trans only drops into third, stranding you around 3500 rpm. At that speed, it feels like you only need two digits to quantify the 2.4-liter’s torque output. Drivers behind you are likely to display two digits of their own. For even greater sluggishness, Honda fits all 2012 CR-Vs with an “econ” button that dulls throttle response and widens the acceptable window of variation for the cruise and climate controls.

In response to criticism for sticking with the five-speed, Honda’s answer was along the lines of, “Our five is damn good. The customers wanted efficiency gains—we gave them efficiency gains.” We appreciate the philosophy of extracting greater efficiencies from existing hardware before creating all-new systems, but clinging to the five-speed seems kind of lazy."

From MT:
"There are some places where Honda has been too conservative. It's finally begun to put six-speed transmissions in some of its cars, but the new CR-V still isn't one of these. Worse, Honda has made the five-speed's gears longer for better efficiency, to the detriment of passing performance. Drop the hammer, and you'll often find yourself in a higher gear than you'd like, and below the powerband, which peaks rather high in the rev range. The CR-V is also still louder inside than the competition; there's too much engine vibration in the cabin at idle;

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1201_2012_honda_cr_v_first_drive/viewall.html#ixzz1mqvZUtWM"

From insideline:
"Still Not Quick
Our 2012 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with Navigation takes 9.4 seconds to reach 60 mph (or 9.1 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and goes through the quarter-mile in 16.8 seconds at 83.4 mph. That's right in line with most other four-cylinder SUVs, and it's a half-second quicker than a 2008 CR-V we tested (10.0-second 0-60, 17.4-second quarter-mile at 79.2 mph). However, the turbocharged VW Tiguan is still about a second quicker than the 2012 CR-V.

Accelerating up to speed on the highway is less frenzied in the new CR-V, as improved sound-deadening results in less ruckus from the engine bay. Of course, the 2.4-liter continues to make its best power up high, so if you don't like the sound of an engine revving, this isn't the SUV for you.

Honda's smooth-shifting five-speed automatic is still better than many other transmissions in this class, but it's not as responsive as the 2013 CX-5's new six-speed automatic, and it doesn't match revs or offer a manual mode. A new Econ mode helps you mind your mpg by providing shallower throttle response to pedal input (along with less energetic cruise control and air-conditioner operation), but unless you're on flat ground, it makes for painfully slow progress."

From TTAC:
"Mind you, show the ’12 CR-V a steep hill and the 2.4L four-cylinder – with all of 5 more horsepower this year – can struggle a bit. Engaging Eco mode feels like you’re suddenly trying to tow the Sea Shepherd around. Twice I noticed a reluctance to kick down even with the accelerator fully depressed, and with gearing taller across the board things can get a bit leisurely."

No one is asking for ridiculous items like a 275hp 10 speed cr-v.

While some people value a lack of progress, others actually want automakers to improve upon their products and not just recycle the same things until sales drop.

Personally I'd like the CR-V to have something like a 6 speed auto w/ a 225hp I4. Move the 0-60 into the high 7 second range so people don't need to "plan" every merge there is.

aznstuart
Profile for aznstuart
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2012 14:03
I think the CR-V has plenty of passing power. In fact I floored it the other day to pass someone and my passengers started complaining about driving too aggressively. I can't imagine what they would've said it there were a V6 under the hood. Honestly, it you're going to "pass" someone and those 2 seconds really matter that much, you're probably driving too aggressively and cutting the other guy off.

If you want slow, drive a 2005 CR-V with four regular sized passengers and a trunk full of Costco...now that's scary. I was going 60mph and trying to accelerate to the point where I was flooring it and the car still would not go any faster.
Airrodgers
Profile for Airrodgers
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2012 14:25
aznstuart wrote:
I think the CR-V has plenty of passing power. In fact I floored it the other day to pass someone and my passengers started complaining about driving too aggressively. I can't imagine what they would've said it there were a V6 under the hood. Honestly, it you're going to "pass" someone and those 2 seconds really matter that much, you're probably driving too aggressively and cutting the other guy off.

If you want slow, drive a 2005 CR-V with four regular sized passengers and a trunk full of Costco...now that's scary. I was going 60mph and trying to accelerate to the point where I was flooring it and the car still would not go any faster.

I was driving my CRv with 3 people inside and I was aggressively changing lane .. merging almost hitting 90 at one point, there wasn't this lack of power people say about the CRV... The CRV is not a sport car the sooner people know that the safer they be on the road...

aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2012 15:14
Honda isn't listening to you two anyways, since each generation gets more powerful. Like I said, some people don't value progress.
aznstuart
Profile for aznstuart
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2012 17:32
aznxthuggie wrote:
Honda isn't listening to you two anyways, since each generation gets more powerful. Like I said, some people don't value progress.

I don't think you understood my post. I own a 2005, 2007, and a 2012. I was saying that the 2005 was slow, and now they've fixed it in the 2012.

Honda is listening. But the CR-V does not need a 273hp 3.5L V6. 185hp-200hp would be plenty.

auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2012 18:14
aznstuart wrote:
aznxthuggie wrote:

I don't think you understood my post. I own a 2005, 2007, and a 2012. I was saying that the 2005 was slow, and now they've fixed it in the 2012.

Honda is listening. But the CR-V does not need a 273hp 3.5L V6. 185hp-200hp would be plenty.

The lack of power people typically complain about CRV, IMO is the lack of low end torque, that they experience during the first few seconds when they start from zero.

CRV has decent mid and high rpm torque and is useful too. My 2008 CRV never disappointed me while passing other vehicles on undivided roads (even with 4 adult passengers). Yes, you need rev it beyond 3000 rpm and you won't be disappointed.

People doing test drives are easily sold when a car has good acceleration from zero. CRV does'nt impress in that aspect. But CRV never disappoints in the real-world needs, be it merging into freeways or passing.

adrianchew
Profile for adrianchew
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2012 20:20
I think the sweet spot would be if they could get the 0-60 times into the mid 8s. Also makes no sense than the 2012 CR-V does not make at least as much power as what the 2.4L Accord makes, given its the same powertrain!

http://www.insideline.com/honda/cr-v/2012/2012-honda-cr-v-full-test-and-video.html

Mid 9s is still on the slow side, mid 8s would be far better. You don't need a V6 RAV4 in the 7s kind of performance, just a bit more giddy-up would be good though.
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2012 00:01
I have a feeling they're saving something for the MMC. Waiting for 2017 to release earth dreams would be quite a wait.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2012 10:43
Just wishing for more power - and you mean low end torque - isn't really that possible without a bigger engine or turbo charging, both of which would hurt mpg (and probably engine smoothness if still a four cylinder). yes you could tune it to rev to da moon and run on premium but this would not help in normal driving. a six speed would help a litle but not hugely - how much better is the six speed odyssey over the 5 speed. A little.

As for the journos complaining about it only being a 5 speed....Rav-4 - four speed, Corolla - four speed. And there are so many bad six speeds out there. So I am going to defend Honda little bit here - the existing 5 speed auto, changes gear readily, has decent grade logic (better than Toyotas 4 speed and Chevy's 6 speed) and its reliable.

If more power is important then move up to a 2013 RDX. Annoying for Honda salespeople maybe, but not for Honda.

I would rather have a manual....
P54
Profile for P54
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2012 11:11
Agree with you, CR-V is a sales leader in its class, despite not having a V6 option so many lamented about. And despite having a "ugly" exterior so many at TOV complained about. Obviously most people were content with what it offered and with improved styling and FE it should be even better.

If some want more power then a V6 RDX would fit the bill and it has better FE than the turbo four. Spoke to a neighbor that has an Equinox that is rated 32 mpg HWY. He is driving very carefully to stay out of "boost" as FE dramatically decreases. So even though he has more power he is not using it as to preserve gas consumption.
aznstuart
Profile for aznstuart
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2012 11:17
A77 wrote:
Just wishing for more power - and you mean low end torque - isn't really that possible without a bigger engine or turbo charging, both of which would hurt mpg (and probably engine smoothness if still a four cylinder). yes you could tune it to rev to da moon and run on premium but this would not help in normal driving. a six speed would help a litle but not hugely - how much better is the six speed odyssey over the 5 speed. A little.

As for the journos complaining about it only being a 5 speed....Rav-4 - four speed, Corolla - four speed. And there are so many bad six speeds out there. So I am going to defend Honda little bit here - the existing 5 speed auto, changes gear readily, has decent grade logic (better than Toyotas 4 speed and Chevy's 6 speed) and its reliable.

If more power is important then move up to a 2013 RDX. Annoying for Honda salespeople maybe, but not for Honda.

I would rather have a manual....

And as a consumer, though a brand new engine with a brand new 6AT would be nice, I would prefer something tried and true, considering problems Honda's run into in the past with new transmissions and the problems with the Civic's new R18.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2012 12:29
TSX69 wrote:

I am going to ring the bullshit bell on this one:

From the driver’s seat we are greeted by Honda’s current un-simple dashboard design. It’s a cataclysm of plastic materials, colors and grains, made busier by the large number of assembled pieces and the disjointed cut lines between them. Throw in swoopy, lumpy styling of the busy sort that once evoked derision of Japanese automotive exterior design and it just seems like too much.

If we were discussing the Civic, I would agree. The CR-V interior is nothing like he describes...at all. The i-Mid is a little distracting, but nothing is really disjointed and swoopy.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2012 14:42
sadlerau wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

Is this inane, condemning with faint praise type of road report a direct result of Honda's lack of exciting vehicles on the test fleet?

One wonders how different this test would have been written, had the tester recently tested the all new for 2012 S3000, let alone the recently introduced New NSX? Talk about the latest and greatest!

And the tester really felt good about that Acura Coupe with the insane horsepower V6 and SH-AWD. Boy those cars were great to flog around the race track, and did they handle!

Instead we have had months and months of very negative vibes about Honda/Acura - so it translates into such negative reviews.

Yeah, but I predicted this would happen (years ago) without the halo models.

It'll be interesting to see however, whether buyers listen to the hacks or make the decision to buy the things nonetheless.
KMG1219
Profile for KMG1219
Re: 4th Generation Honda CR-V Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2012 16:04
Honda coming to the table with 162 lb/ft of torque in 2012 is a joke. That is what makes the CRV so bad especially when you add taller gearing to the mix and shifting before you reach max max hp.

The lack of torque makes the 5sp auto seem worse than it really is.

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0